A quick update about the Sussex University student event Make Change Happen, in which Mutual Aid in Sussex (MAIS) organised a ‘world café’ of Brighton & Hove co-ops, social enterprises and community groups for students to meet, connect with and learn from.
It went down well, with many students learning about projects and co-ops which they never knew existed. Many of the people who did come had intense conversations with the people on the stalls. It was also a good opportunity for people from different co-ops and community groups to meet and chat with each other. Many people who were on the stalls – as well as students – told us that they were happy with the event.
We had 10 tables in the end, with people from each table representing not only their own organisation but others in the same area in the city.
- Growing projects – Viv (Seedy Sunday), Vikki & Sarah (Brighton Permaculture Trust)
- Food projects – Imogen (Real Junk Food Project)
- Education projects – Luke (Free University Brighton)
- Workers co-ops – Matt (Bartleby’s workers’ co-op)
- Social Spaces – Steve (Synergy Centre), Allie (Cowley Club)
- Housing co-ops – Rosie (CHIBAH)
- Bike projects – Iain (Cranks)
- Media co-ops – Amy (MAIS) & Adam (Radio Free Brighton)
- Energy – Chris Rowland (Ovesco energy co-op), Jacob (energy co-op PhD student)
- Mutual Aid in Sussex – Ed
We had planned to also have tables for health projects and food co-ops, but due to illness and family emergencies, those tables had to be cancelled at the last minute. This didn’t matter as there were quite a few other tables.
Thanks to all who helped make this happen.
In the future we hope to do things not just for students, but for people in Brighton & Hove generally. There are lots of ideas for future events – come to our meetings to help decide what we do!